Benefits of mulching include:
- cuts down on weed growth
- helps soil maintain nutrients and moisture
- controls temperature of the soil
- raises organic matter volume in the soil
- fresh sawdust can limit the amount of nitrogen in the soil
- materials that could contain weed seeds, such as fresh grass
- any organic material that is suspected of having toxins
- applying to early in the spring can prevent proper soil heating, wait until the soil is 65 degrees at 4 inches
- getting mulch to close to the stems of plants, 2-3 inches away is a good rule of thumb.
Click here to sign up for your FREE organic gardening newsletter and catalog, as well as all of your organic gardening needs!
Click here for help with your organic garden from start to finish.